AoS generals compendium

This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
     Anonymous

Hello all,

The age of sigmar generals compendium is coming out soon and it includes points for models. This is designed for tournament play but it feels like it will be the way everyone will play! With this in mind I played a full game of it (sorry Lee) on Saturday in gw. They have scrapped all the stupid rules that made me dislike the game and I actually enjoyed it. Moving models individualy and measuring distances if still a pain in the arse but the game is in my opinion has become credible.

Look at this post for an article about AoS, KoW and 9th ed warhammer all in one!

blackfirepass.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/kow-vs-aos-vs-9th-age.html?m=1

Admittedly despite my AoS experience being better than i thought, for me it will always be KoW 1st.

Enjoy life, don’t be a dick, play more games!
      Carl

Anonymous

I think the saying is something like “You should try everything once”, just put it down to experience and don’t repeat it.

Anonymous
          Lord_of_Khemri wrote:
          I think the saying is something like “You should try everything once”, just put it down to experience and don’t repeat it.

Very true.

The games I’ve tried this year reflect this;
          KoW
          AoS
          Saga
          Malifaux
          X-Wing
          Tanks!
          Frostgrave

All have their merits and the variety is great to allow gamers to pick up and play in a style they want.

Anonymous

Personally, I’m pretty certain that any game made by the same team responsible for the twin messes of eighth edition fantasy and recent editions of 40k will be, at best, borderline playable. It won’t be anything more than a vague approximation of balanced, or well written. Trying new games is all very well, but I’ll be sticking to the many others that haven’t been made by a design team with a long and notable record of incompetence and laziness.

Anonymous

The generals book is a massive step in the right direction, and it’s pretty well priced too. While I like the game without points, I can see the need for more than casual play.

Lord_of_Khemri wrote:

I prefer the saying “You should try everything twice”. Tastes change. Opinions change.

I like AoS. I doubt i’ll ever play it a Garrison, the WHFB saltiness is off putting. I’ve stopped reading the newsletter for the same reasons; I assume the latest edition includes it’s fair amount of AoS-bashing?

We’re a niche chaps. We roll dice and paint models, and ANYTHING that introduces people to this hobby is a good thing. AoS has merits, whether it’s to your taste or not.

@Nicolas while I never played 8th Ed Fantasy, I do play 7th Ed 40K, and IMHO the game has never been better. To each their own.

Anonymous
                Rune of Beards wrote:
                The games I’ve tried this year reflect this;
                KoW
                AoS
                Saga
                Malifaux
                X-Wing
                Tanks!
                Frostgrave

I can see a little space in that list for some Guildball, or some Dropzone… hey! MKIII of Warmahordes is out! :P

It’s a good time for the hobby. Lots of really interesting stuff out there.

Anonymous

The following phrase appears in all the newsletters

I am aiming to produce these before the middle of the month so if anyone feels like contributing articles, pictures etc. please feel free to contact me on the forum, otherwise this will end up as a reflection of my own random thoughts that will most probably be tainted by too much Warpstone in my PG Tips.

Current count of articles sent to me in the last 6 months of the newsletter from all the gamers at the club is zero. I therefore refer you to the last part of the above phrase.

Thank you

Anonymous

Not quite what I was getting at, but point taken, we can do better to submit stuff. A lack of submitted content isn’t responsible for the tone, surely?

I was chatting to a chap this weekend at the 40K doubles tournament (which was a lot of fun, if you’ve not had anything submitted I can write something up for it). His main game was AoS. Absolutely loved it, yet i’ve never seen him on a Wednesday. Made me wonder how many people may have looked at the club and been put off by strong opinions on their hobby of choice?

In other news! Global AoS campaign kicks off tomorrow (the 14th). Nice to see GW doing this kind of stuff again.

Anonymous

Lack of submitted content isn’t the cause of my tone.

As I look at my bookcase, part of which is £250 of End Times books, Nagash, A Mortarch and 2 Morghasts and thinking about how GW knew they were going to make the game I play obsolete in a year and duped us into buying stuff because we thought they were making an effort, that’s the cause of my tone.

The fact that GW York “could get a Warriors of Chaos book out of the back” at full price a couple of days before they canned it, and then wouldn’t sell the old books at a discount because “you can still play it”. (oh, but not in our shops) didn’t fill me with unbridled joy.

Also, “never seen them on a Wednesday” is sadly the tale of encouraging the participation of fantasy type games, Over the last year or so I think we have gained CDTray and GuitarJimmy as new players but lost two Carpenters, diadochi (although his game is mainly KoW), James Mitchell, ryan left, Andre doesn’t come much at the moment. Seb and Carl have been a lost cause for a while now :)

Maybe “observers” are put off by how few WHFB games are played despite our best efforts (unless they want to play KoW where there is a small base of players)

if the AOS guy wants to come down and bring that game I am sure that one or two waverers might want to give it a go and see what it’s all about.

All contributions welcome as always, and I’m a putter-togetherer, not an editor, it just so happens at the moment it’s all my own stuff.
                      Should any AoS articles be sent to me then I will surround them by caveats and disclaimers, I do have some standards :)

Anonymous

A lost cause! I see it more as a new age of discovery, wonder and happiness in the world of Mantica :-)

Anonymous

It is a shame that WHFB is played by so few. Is there a singular over whelming reason? I mean it seems strange that KoW players wouldnt be interested in at least trying it? As for AoS Ive always said Id be happy to try it, and once Ive stopped buying more and more models a may well buy the book and test out the points system.

As for articles I had no idea this was a thing. Id be up for writing one on the progression of fantasy wargames after Ive tried the new AoS. I whine a lot but when it comes to actual articles I can be very unbiased.

At the end of the day we want more people playing more games so I welcome it all, even if I have a bit of an axe to grind with the implementation of AoS as Lee mentioned.

Anonymous
                            Guitarjimmy wrote:
                            It is a shame that WHFB is played by so few. Is there a singular over whelming reason? I mean it seems strange that KoW players wouldnt be interested in at least trying it? As for AoS Ive always said Id be happy to try it, and once Ive stopped buying more and more models a may well buy the book and test out the points system.

As for articles I had no idea this was a thing. Id be up for writing one on the progression of fantasy wargames after Ive tried the new AoS. I whine a lot but when it comes to actual articles I can be very unbiased.

At the end of the day we want more people playing more games so I welcome it all, even if I have a bit of an axe to grind with the implementation of AoS as Lee mentioned.

I think i speak for myself seb, James and the carpenters (and maybe a few others) when I say we simply prefer it. I personally got sick of the ‘madness’ that came with WHF and I do not like the overcomplexity and randomness of the game, its also much easier in WHF to beat your opponent by finding what units are broken, and therefore writing a better list, rather than playing the game well. KoW is much easier to pick up so is more appealing that way, also WHF is now an unsupported game meaning it will continue to loose players and eventually die out. I don’t mean to sound harsh, as you know I used to play WHF, but it does outline why people don’t play it anymore.

Anonymous

d

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Get In Touch

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

© 2020 York Garrison - Privacy Policy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account