King in the North

This topic contains 72 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Gareth 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     Anonymous

Only 7 tickets left! If you’re watching this thread and want one I suggest getting one soon!

Anonymous

We know you’ll go up, Ryan :)

Anonymous

A draft tournament pack has been added! It follows the Clash of Kings scenarios and rules comp. (which I want to play consistently anyway from now on, even in casual games). It also contains a new and different way of winning tournament points to add variety into the mix. Read away on the first page.

Carl

Anonymous

Sounds good, I think the one concerning flyers makes sense. On warhammer total war, for a dragon to leave combat, it doesn’t fly straight out, but instead walks out, then flies.
            I’m up for playing them.

Anonymous
              Mitchell wrote:
              Sounds good, I think the one concerning flyers makes sense. On warhammer total war, for a dragon to leave combat, it doesn’t fly straight out, but instead walks out, then flies.
              I’m up for playing them.

I agree it does make a lot of sense, same as cavalry though, suffer no damage and you don’t get disordered which is also good.

Anonymous

My entire plan of taking 4 Cursed Pharaohs has been foiled. Curses! (Literally)

Anonymous

I’ll buy my ticket and read the pack today. Looking forward to it.

Anonymous

I have my ticket – the battle for the wooden spoon is heating up

Anonymous

Can we please do away with the messy and unnecessary compromise of ‘no more dice’ rather than an auto-lose on time limits?
                      There’s really no good reason for it, especially in a tournament that has generous time limits, and it’s simply too much of a dilution of the central, important, point of having clocks, which is to make sure that games are played properly within the time allowed, and that each player is personally responsible for making sure they play at an appropriate speed. For that to work, they have to be looking at the clock with the mindset of ‘this is how long I have to finish the game’ and definitely *not* ‘this is how long I have to set up a winning position, and then I’m still OK if my opponent doesn’t pull too much back’.
                      It’s also important that the time limit is for the *entire game*, including the final turns, and this method gets far too lenient if only triggered half way through turn 6. Again, players should not be thinking that it’s acceptable to go over the time limit in the final turns. At the very least, it should be no movement at all, including pivots, plus enough of a penalty per unfinished turn to turn a draw into a loss, which just makes at even messier and more awkward, and still not as clear and effective as the simple and elegant auto-loss.
                      Yes, it’s harsh, but for a tournament setting where you have a set amount of time per game, with a game running over slowing down all the others, it’s a harshness appropriate to the environment, and as I said above, you’ve already made sure that the time limit for this tournament isn’t unduly stressful.

Anonymous

I have to disagree. I’m all up for timed games but I also want to enjoy myself and not discourage new players. I think dice down is the perfect solution to running out of time. I think the rules are great Carl and am looking forward to the scoring system (although I have nothing to compare it to).

Anonymous

I too have to disagree. I don’t know the background behind chess clocks, but I believed the purpose of timed games was to speed up play so it fits within a tournament setting. Also armies in fantasy war-gaming are not symmetrical, some have more units, some have many more attack dice but not necessarily more effective attacks; a zombie legion has 40 attacks, but most of those attacks are duds. I find the timed games a challenge and feel that sudden death is too harsh. Like Alan said I want the game to be fun and inviting to all players, myself included.

Dave

Anonymous
                            Red wrote:
                            I have to disagree. I’m all up for timed games but I also want to enjoy myself and not discourage new players. I think dice down is the perfect solution to running out of time. I think the rules are great Carl and am looking forward to the scoring system (although I have nothing to compare it to).

Tournaments are test of playing skill, and being able to think of moves quick enough. In chess the game would end immediately, and if there are no mating pieces (including pawns), on the player who still has time, then its a draw. Kings of war, I can imagine the no dice could be abused, and could just result in an effective full retreat (the best way to preserve points presumably), or in end games where the player who is going to run out of time isn’t planning on killing on the final turn (maybe just positioning troops, has everything to gain from using the effective bonus time). Why then keep an eye on the clock? I think of time as representing the moral of the army. In my opinion there is more time to stop the stress on the players. I quite like the simplicity of the game in that regards. It doesn’t have to end in a loss, just give such a huge penalty that is designed to take victory maybe. So it could still be draw (if the player who lost on time was winning alot) or loss. Essentially like chess where running out of time isn’t always a loss.

However I understand some armies have more units, and more dice to roll which picking up dice isn’t a tactical thing. So armies with chaff needs to roll more dice. So for players who have zombie hordes for example I understand then why it might put some armies at a disadvantage. I am also aware some players might not feel comfortable. And this could be so sudden.

Despite my opinion being that a game should end (results depending), I am happy for either.

Anonymous

Of you could envision the ‘no dice’ roll as night-fall, maybe the troops have done enough, maybe they haven’t, either way no more commands are coming from the commander, all the messengers are dead.

And any player skilled enough to abuse the ‘no dice’ roll is probably skilled enough to play ‘sudden death’ or hanging from the chandeliers upside down while playing.

Anonymous
                                Diadochi wrote:
                                Of you could envision the ‘no dice’ roll as night-fall, maybe the troops have done enough, maybe they haven’t, either way no more commands are coming from the commander, all the messengers are dead.

And any player skilled enough to abuse the ‘no dice’ roll is probably skilled enough to play ‘sudden death’ or hanging from the chandeliers upside down while playing.

True about the night fall…

Both players are running out of time (low on time). However I edited my post about the timer and said it could end in a draw. But if an army just couldn’t be played in the time limit, allow extra time on the clock, maybe based upon amount of dice rolled….

Anonymous

As I thought, a less harsh method of using time could be the following;

Play as normal using the time Carl has given (for most players), then once a player (Player A ran out of time), continue the game, but if Player A won, they would draw, if Player A draws, then it becomes a loss for Player A… Like in chess if B cannot win, they won’t, a bit like with chess. It gives a chance of gaining attrition points and would feel less harsh than an automatic loss.

Would this work as a potential method, still get to enjoy a whole game, but wont feel harsh?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Get In Touch

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

© 2020 York Garrison - Privacy Policy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account