Lapsed 40k gamer checking back in

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mikey Royce 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
     Mikey Royce 
    Participant

Hey everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself. I played Rogue Trader and 2nd ed as a teenager, now after 20 years off I’ve taken the plunge, bought the rules and will be building a basic Guard army over the next few months.

Hopefully I’ll get to play a few games with you once the army is in a decent state to leave the house. 🙂

Mikey

andy brooks 
      Participant

Hi.. as a guard player myself welcome… i am currently fighting Tau tonight, if you are around i will see you there.

Mikey Royce 
        Participant

Hi Andy, I only found out about the Garrison yesterday, so unfortunately I wont be able to make it over tonight. I’ll see about next week.

In the mean time, give those xeno scum a licking, glory to the Emperor, etc. 😉

Dan Wartnaby 
          Keymaster

Hey Mikey, welcome to Garrison. I’m Dan and I help to co-ordinate 40K events, find games for people, campaigns, etc etc.

We have a Kill Team campaign running at the moment, the next night is scheduled for the 8th of February. You can find details here; http://yorkgarrison.co.uk/forums/topic/kill-team-escalation-campaign/#post-21624 – you’d be more than welcome to take part. The idea is that we’ll scale up to full 40K games, transitioning from Kill Team to 750pts -> 1500pts 40K.

We also have a tournament (tentatively) booked for June, the hope is that GW will have pushed 8th edition of the rules and we can have some fun with that.

Mikey Royce 
            Participant

Hi Dan,

At the moment, things are a bit nuts – I’ve started a new job, so I’m keeping my evenings free until that settles down. What might be a better idea, is that I stop by on a Wednesday in the future and introduce myself in person. As I said, I’m new to all of this and trying my best not to caught up with buying models I’ll never finish, so in the mean time it might be a good idea if I spectate through a few games and decide what I like.

Mikey

Dan Wartnaby 
              Keymaster

Hey man,

I completely understand that stance – it’s a slippery, and expensive, slope. We should be running Kill Team next week so if you’re free come down. We can also lend you some models to have a game or two – see if it’s something that works for you.

What I would say is that IMHO 30/40K works best as a slow-burn hobby; buy a squad, paint the squad, play a small game, buy the next thing. A lot of people in recent years buy whole armies out right and it’s a slog to finish them. A Kill Team campaign is the perfect way of getting into the hobby… 😉

Mikey Royce 
                Participant

When you’re a teenager with little disposable income, buying too many models is hardly a problem, so reigning in the impulse buys is a new experience this time around!

Good advice on paint what you buy before you buy more. I’ve also heard similar from other people.

I’ll see if I can make it down next week.

Mikey

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Get In Touch

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

© 2020 York Garrison - Privacy Policy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account