Malifaux board under construction.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
     Anonymous

Hey guys. I started collecting some neat pieces of scenery for malifaux. I dont have the board (3×3) yet. I have the intention to paint them all and build a grimish cowboy town. I will include 9 buildings some crates/fences 3 trees and 3-4 mud areas. They will cover 1/3 of the board. It will be ready in a couple of months. (I have painted the most of my malifaux models but i hate wicked dolls models and i wait for the stitched together kit that will come!!!!).

I will take seriously any kind of advice given and

Everybody who likes the game ans my company will be more than welcome to come to my place at weekends so we can play even more since the board is ready. Tea or beer on the house xD.

Anonymous

Cool. You should post up some pics.

Anonymous

I have baby progress at the point. Next month i will have some real progress so i will post! If you mean about the models i will just bring them to play as long as i have a viable 35 or 50 ss list. The problem is that i wait for the stitched together for 50ss and for the brutal effigy..

Anonymous

Nah, I’m all about the terrain! Think I should’ve been a model-railway enthusiast rather than a wargamer. Having said that, there’s a definite lack of post-apocalyptic in model trains…

Anonymous

I will not add any railway models unfortunately. But i will have 3 houses, 2 shops 1 sherriff apartment 1 bank 1 sallon and one of the public hanging places. The trees will come to me at late april as well the crates. I will buy the board after i have everything painted. Any ideas how to create wild west roads effect?

Anonymous

Roads are always a pain if you want them to be modular. Since roads tend to be sunken relative to the world around them it’s never (in my opinion) a very good look placing those pre-constructed road sections across the board. Railways look better for that since they are usually raised above the world around them.

However, wild-west roads are more like dirt tracks so it’s possible to just run toy vehicles (of the right scale!) across the board when your basing material is still wet. This works well if you’re using something like polyfilla to base the board. Obviously they can’t be moved once the filla is dry though so it’s not a modular approach if you’re after being able to move them around ;). But once the board is painted they can be made to look quite effective.

As far as I can tell from spaghetti-westerns, they never really had proper roads anyway. It was all just mud and dirt!

Anonymous

Thanks. That’s a nice aproach. No i dont care about being modular. I want to glue everything in place. So i want to play some games first and understand how the scenery should look like to serve all the possible scenarios. Then make the blueprints. Then glue them on sealed mdf board. Then paint the board and the “roads”

By the way, what board thickness shoild i aim for and why?

Anonymous

If you have alternative “board” ideas but still be 3×3 let me know.

Anonymous

This is quite a good example of the sort of modular road tiles I was thinking of:

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3EzBhnKt9xY/UXvZeZCF_rI/AAAAAAAAD8o/I_jj5kkJC7c/s1600/RSCN7765.JPG[/img]

Personally I’m not a fan as they stick up too far and tend to just get in the way of the game when you knock them about accidentally. Here though they’ve put buildings with the same depth base which certainly helps. A lot of work though.

This is more my way of thinking for the wild-west – no roads:

WWX+Table+1.jpg

Anonymous
                        Dimitrios wrote:
                        By the way, what board thickness shoild i aim for and why?

I have used 12mm (I think) in the past, but have also heard lots of people suggest that it does still warp. At 3×3 it might not be such a problem.

Plywood is certainly a good board material and seems to be more resistant to warping for the same thickness (though more expensive). There is also something called Oriental Strand Board (OSB) which a lot of people rave about as being far better than MDF for full-size boards. Seems cheap too.

Anonymous

Thanks. You gave me so much inspiration. Bless you!

Anonymous

You’re welcome. I hope to see your board at the club some time!

Anonymous

Since i dont have a transport its difficult to being it there. And 3×3 is not smal for a taxi… but i hope so as well!

Anonymous
                                Dimitrios wrote:
                                Since i dont have a transport its difficult to being it there. And 3×3 is not smal for a taxi… but i hope so as well!

I have the same problem. I built a 4×4 canal board in MDF (raised surface with sunken canals). Turns out I can’t fit it in the car and can only just lift it in any case.

Oh well…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Get In Touch

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

© 2019 York Garrison - Privacy Policy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account