Oversized Borg Cube – House Rules?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
     Anonymous

After several people took pity on me the first time I turned up with my Oversized Borg Cube and it got utterly decimated in every single game I played against Neil B’s Species fleet it was suggested that we come up with some “house rules” for it. So, rather than just doing this myself Id like to get the input of YG’s community of STAW players if possible please. What Id like to do is to create one more named ship card for it that goes some way towards either increasing its power or decreasing its cost (or maybe a bit of both). Obviously this would be for purely casual games so dont worry it wouldnt ever turn up at an OP event :-)

This picture shows the stats for the current named ship, ideally Id like to probably keep it fairly close to this really but just “fix” it a bit. Let me know what you all think…

Cube112.jpg

Anonymous

Well, for starters you normally pay 2 per stat so it should just be 52 points :).

Anonymous
          Myriad wrote:
          Well, for starters you normally pay 2 per stat so it should just be 52 points :).

Yeah I think thats definitely a good place to start with it

Anonymous

Make it 52pts and remove the 50pt restriction for it. Maybe make it count as 2 ships and therefore allow it to be 100pts max?
            Also the ability is poor. Either remove the drone requirement or up the attack to its full value?

Anonymous

Here are a couple of options Ive come up with so far based on the comments above and some comments Alex sent me as well. Let me know what you think of these…

BorgYO1.jpg

BorgYO2.jpg

Anonymous

I think only range 1-2 for the ability though. Otherwise it’s too powerful and there’s no reason to buy secondary weapons.
                I was also thinking that the ‘full assault’ card could scale for it. Maybe +6 dice and require more dice per target. 3 min? So you could do between 9-3-0 and 6-3-3 with focus on one ship and 4-4-4 balanced.

Anonymous

For maximum OP
                  1. Regenerate 1 hull per turn automatically
                  2. Allow 1 defence dice for every two lost hull

Anonymous
                    captain chaos wrote:
                    For maximum OP

Its a hell of a long way from being over-powered to start with so just looking to try and work out something that makes it actually playable

Anonymous
                      Gray wrote:
                      captain chaos wrote:
                      For maximum OP

Its a hell of a long way from being over-powered to start with so just looking to try and work out something that makes it actually playable

Oh absolutly .. for casual play it should be over powered . After all they are the Borg…!!

Anonymous
                        captain chaos wrote:
                        Gray wrote:
                        captain chaos wrote:
                        For maximum OP

Oh absolutly .. for casual play it should be over powered . After all they are the Borg…!!

I was thinking about writing some rules of that type for it to use in some sort of campaign or scenario. For now though I just want to get to a point where i can bring it along on a wednesday night and have it playable but in a way that other people are happy with

Anonymous

DS9 is ability scores doubled +2 so id follow that for the points.

Why not bundle it with a couple of upgrades like tractor beam and cutting tool for free.

Id also suggest giving it a way to regenerate drone tokens for the nasty abilities.
                          Like regenerate action lets you roll 5 atrack dice and any hits or crits get you a token back up to your max

Just my thoughts

Ben

Anonymous

1: cut he random extra 20pts to the cost of the Cube

2: all shields regenerate after the combat phase

3: rolls 2 defence dice as standard.

This ship should be terrifying. Event with these changes, I can still one shot it.

Anonymous

I’ve never played as Borg so can’t comment on mechanics, but from ST:TNG how about a rule that weapons (possibly only primary weapons) are only effective once or effectiveness is reduced each time in line with the Borg’s adaptability. This would have to come at a massive cost, but then we could realistically have Wolf 359 style battle!!!

Anonymous

Id kind of forgotten about this one in recent weeks, I will definitely take another look at it though

Anonymous

Not sure when it will be released but there is a new large Borg cube due out this year.

The new one has a round docking point for a Borg Sphere (included in the pack) to dock to.

Hopefully it will have useful rules.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Get In Touch

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

© 2020 York Garrison - Privacy Policy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account